An animator is an artist who draws a series of sketches or pictures, each showing a brief portion of
an action, which is photographed in series to give an effect of continuous movement when run through a projector.
Animators only make the key drawings referred to as 'extremes'. These drawings on the animator's drawing board are necessary for showing the action-spacing instructions that guide the animator's assistant in doing the intermediate drawings needed to complete the depiction of the action.
When all the drawings have been completed and assembled, the action is checked. Flipping through the pages will reveal any error in the action sequence, and the relevant drawing can then be corrected. The drawings are then photographed in sequence. Sound effects are mixed with speech on the dialogue track and combined with the optical negative for the final composite print.
- giving expression to one's varied ideas in sketches and drawings
- developing a visual story
- creating something interesting
- sitting for long periods working on one particular theme
- sometimes working on something that is not necessarily that interesting to you personally
An animator should:
- be artistically inclined
- be imaginative, creative and original
- be industrious
- have strong sense of humour, of the quizzical and comical
- have high degree of attention to fine detail
- have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of figure drawing, cartoon drawing and landscape painting
National Senior Certificate meeting degree requirements for a degree course
National Senior Certificate meeting diploma requirements for a diploma course
Each institution will have its own minimum entry requirements.
Compulsory Subjects: None
Recommended Subjects: Visual Arts
There is no recognized academic training course specifically for an animator. Most of the actual training is gained in-service with a practising animator. This may take up to three years depending on the individual's interest in his work, his diligence and talent.
Degree: BA (Fine Art) - RU, UJ, US, UFS
Diploma: N.Dip. (Fine Art) - DUT, TUT, VUT
- Film production companies
- Animation studios
- Television companies
- Advertising agencies
- Freelance work, self-employed
Private Bag X 1
Auckland Park, 2006
Tel: 082 230 CALL
082 230 2255
Fax: (011) 388-1045