Nav: Home | Inst. | Burs. | Careers
Recreation Manager / Officer
Recreation managers and officers coordinate recreation programmes for people to improve their quality of life.

Recreation managers develop programmes at a recreation centre for specific people such as children, disabled or elderly people. They keep communities informed about the different programmes, excursions and exhibitions. They advise administrators and counsellors on sport, recreation and parks, as well as on ways of obtaining sponsors. They coordinate different programmes and keep records of all activities and events. They may provide material for brochures and newsletters.

Recreation workers hold a variety of positions at different levels of responsibility. Recreation leaders, who are responsible for a recreation programme's daily operation, primarily organize and direct participants. Recreation officers or leaders assist recreation managers in the presentation of programmes.

Recreation officers or leaders may give instruction in art, dance, drama, crafts, games, and sports; schedule use of facilities; keep records of equipment use and ensure that recreation facilities and equipment are used properly.

In larger centres, recreation supervisors oversee recreation leaders and plan, organize, and manage recreational activities to meet the needs of a variety of populations. These workers often serve as liaisons between the director or manager of the park or recreation centre and the recreation leaders. Recreation supervisors with more specialized responsibilities may also direct special activities or events or oversee a major activity, such as aquatics, gymnastics, or performing arts.

Managers or directors of recreation centres and parks develop and manage comprehensive recreation programmes in parks, playgrounds and other settings. Managers or directors can serve as technical advisors to government and local recreation and park commissions and may be responsible for recreation and park budgets. Recreation therapists help individuals to recover from or adjust to illness, disability or specific social problems.

Camp counsellors lead and instruct children and teenagers in outdoor-oriented forms of recreation, such as swimming, hiking, horse riding and camping. In addition, counsellors may provide campers with specialized instruction in subjects such as archery, boating, music, drama, gymnastics, tennis and computers. In resident camps, counsellors also provide guidance and supervise daily living and general socialisation. Camp leaders or managers typically supervise camp counsellors, plan camp activities or programmes, and perform the various administrative functions of a camp.

Recreation workers may work in a variety of settings; for example: cruise ships, recreational parks, or playgrounds in community centres of large urban areas. Regardless of setting, some recreation workers spend much of their time outdoors and may work in a variety of weather conditions. Recreation directors, managers and supervisors typically spend most of their time in an office, planning programmes and special events. Directors and supervisors generally engage in less physical activity than do lower level recreation and fitness workers.

Satisfying Aspects
- working with people
- providing interesting things for people to do to improve their quality of life
- pleasant working conditions

Demanding aspects
- dealing with over-demanding or difficult people
- having staff members not turn up to deliver    recreation programmes
- relatively poor remuneration

A recreation manager should:
- be able to work with different kinds of people;
- be multilingual;
- have management and organizational abilities;
- be mature and have a strong personality;
- be physically fit.

School Subjects
National Senior Certificate meeting degree requirements for a degree course
National Senior Certificate meeting diploma requirements for a diploma course

Each institution will have its own minimum entry requirements.

Compulsory Subjects: Mathematics (for BCom degree)
Recommended Subjects: Business Science, Economics

Degree: Various relevant degrees, such as BA or BCom, with Recreation taken in combination with Tourism, Psychology, Business Economics, Communication and Physical Education.

Diploma: various relevant diplomas - NMMU, CPUT, TUT, CUT, UJ, VUT

- community recreation centres
- holiday resorts
- municipalities
- local authorities
- mines
- Eskom
- Transnet
- self-employment, depending on area of specialization, could set up own business

Sport, Recreation, Fitness & Lotteries
Tel: (011) 803 – 6010   

Department of Recreation and Tourism
Private Bag X6001
Potchefstroom University for C.H.E.
Potchefstroom, 2520

eta (Exercise Teachers and Sport Academy)
Tel: (021) 689-1491   
Any recreation centre