Nav: Home | Inst. | Burs. | Careers
Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Specialist
Ear, nose and throat specialists (ENTs) investigate and treat problems or diseases of the ear, nose and throat. They are also known as otorhinolaryngologists.

As qualified medical doctors, they can prescribe medicine, treat and examine patients and perform operations. ENT specialists treat conditions such as deafness, tinnitus (ringing or buzzing noises in the ears) or hearing impairments. They can repair a torn eardrum and even control excessive snoring by means of implants. They also prescribe hearing aids, do cochlear implants (implanting of electrodes in the inner ear to stimulate nerves which conduct hearing), treat nasal polyps (growths), treat sinusitis and remove tonsils, perform rhinoplasty (an operation to change the shape of a nose) and deal with various other conditions and complaints. Patients make appointments to consult them, and they visit others in hospital and perform surgery.

They normally work in well-equipped, nicely furnished well-lit consulting rooms, and in hospitals.

Satisfying Aspects
- being able to help patients, especially children
- financially rewarding
- working in a relatively stress-free environment
- working generally regular hours
- determining your own workload

Demanding aspects
- frustration when you cannot help or heal a patient
- keeping up to date with the latest advances, developments and improvements in the technology relating to your field

- a fondness for people
- emotionally balanced
- patient and sincere
- able to work with all kinds of people
- able to reassure patients
- a good communicator
- have sound judgement
- responsible and ethical

School Subjects
National Senior Certificate meeting degree requirements for a degree course

Each institution will have its own minimum entry requirements.

Compulsory Subjects: Mathematics, Physical Sciences
Recommended Subjects: Life Sciences

Note: Competition to enter medical studies is stiff and there are usually many applicants with excellent grades who would naturally be given preference.

MBChB degree at UP, UCT, UFS, Wits, US, UL, UKZN:
- Theoretical training: 6 years
- Student internship: 1 year
- Practical work at a hospital: 1 year (also known as the house doctor year).

Post-graduate study for specialization as an ENT specialist: 4 years - e.g. UP, UFS, UL, Wits.

Additional Requirements: before commencing post-graduate study for specialization as an ENT specialist, the candidate must:

- be in possession of a MBChB degree for 2 years
- be registered as a medical doctor with the Interim Medical and Dental Council (IMDC) of South Africa for 1 year.

Registration: on successful completion of the examination to qualify as a specialist, the candidate must register with the IMDC as an ENT specialist.

- private practice
- hospitals and other health care facilities
- medical schools
- clinics

Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
P O Box 205
Pretoria, 0001
Tel: (012) 338-9300
Fax: (012) 328-5120